Sunday, January 31, 2010

"And then long after they escape that tunnel, they still be shining for everybody else."

-Clarice Precious Jones.

You ever think that its weird how sometimes it takes a movie made in Hollywood for us to just stop and think and look at whats happening in the world?

Tonight I watched the movie Precious. I knew when I saw the trailer for it, that it would hit something inside me that I just couldn't explain. This movie made me laugh, think, cry, angry, and depressed... but I absolutely loved it. Apart from the wonderful acting, (and I really mean wonderful, I never thought I could hate Mo'Nique but I really wanted to hit her because she played the mother so well), I know that there are girls out there everywhere who are going through or have gone through or who haven't made it through everything Precious goes through in this movie. Actually I'm pretty positive that there are people who could have gone through even worse situations. That really just breaks my heart. I can't think of one person who deserves to be beaten, raped, told they are dumb and incapable of learning, blamed for getting raped and made to feel bad about it. I don't even know if that last sentence made sense, but just those things mentioned no one should have to go through... NO ONE!
Even apart from the physical things people are put through, this movie brings up an other huge issue that everyday people deal with, self image. At one point Precious says she wished she was light skinned with long hair and really skinny... her teacher tells her thats not real beauty and that she is beautiful... and eventually she believes it. But theres and other part where she is doing her hair in the mirror and she see herself as the super skinny light skinned girl with long hair. At that point in the movie I just wanted to give her a huge hug! A few scenes later and guy calls her "orca" and then she gets pushed onto the ground. Theres an other scene where she writes the letter F on the black board and an other girls says "F for FAT". Precious smacks her in the side of the head, (which I totally think the girl deserved... thats just plain rude)!
Anyway the point to the self image rant is just how it makes me think about all the people who go through that, the fact that I deal with that myself. I know I am not at a healthy weight for myself and that I am out of shape. I also know my teeth are perfectly strait and that yes, my hair is kinda frizzy... but you know what... when it comes down to it I'm 100% okay with who I am. I have beauty that is deeper than that, even if that sounds super corny. I am funny, I care for ever single person I meet, and I am intelligent and in my book that makes me beautiful. :] Also I'm currently listening to Mirror by BarlowGirl on repeat right now and I'm going to share the lyrics with you:
Mirror mirror on the wall, have I got it?
'Cause mirror you've always told me..
Who I am. I'm finding it's not easy
To be perfect

So sorry, you won't define me
Sorry, you don't own me
Who are you to tell me that I am less than what I should be?!

Who are you?
Who are you?

Yeah, yeah
I don't need to listen to the list of things I should do
I won't try. No no no, I won't try

Mirror I am seeing a new reflection
I'm looking into the eyes of he who made me
And to him I am beauty beyond compare
I know, he defines me. Yeah yeah

Who are you to tell me that I am less than what I should be?
Who are you?
Who are you?
Yeah, yeah!

I don't need to listen to the list of things I should do
I won't try, no, I won't try
You don't define me
You don't define me
You don't define me
You don't define me

Who are you to tell me that I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you?
Who are you?
Yeah, yeah!

I don't need to listen to the list of things I should do
I won't try, No
I won't try
Yeah, yeah

Who are you to tell me I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you?
Who are you..?
Yeah, yeah!
I don't need to listen to the list of the things I should do
I won't try, no, I won't try

I think this song could do wonders for anyone struggling with self image issues, because its true. No mirror can define anyone, only you can define yourself. Everyone is beautiful, period.
To sum up this blog, that is way longer and not quite was I was going for, I send my heart, love, and prayers to anyone who is out in this world and feels worthless or unloved. No one deserves to feel like that or to be treated like that. Every single person matters and I wish I could tell that to anyone who feels that way. I wish I could help anyone struggling to just make it through the day. And to be honest, it would help me. Help me see that even if I complain about things that are happening in my life... I have a place to call home. I have a family that loves me. I have so many things I take for granted... and I wish I could share all of that with anyone who doesn't.
So thank you to Sapphire for writing the book Push, and thank you to Lee Daniels for directing the movie. You guys have really opened my eyes and inspired me to be something great. Thank You.

Okay,
Good night :]

<33 Amber

3 comments:

  1. amber!! i love this. it's great! and very deep. its crazy to think about some of those things sometimes...
    i like the song choice..haha
    i think all girls struggle with self-image in some way or another at one point or another in thier life..
    even some guys too i bet, just not in hte same way..lol
    anyways haha, this is one of my fav blogs of urss

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww i translated it on google!! thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete